Phoenix Aggravated DUI Attorney
A DUI can be prosecuted as a felony in Arizona as a result of several factors. Initially, the State must prove the elements of a misdemeanor DUI, including:
- an alcohol concentration above .08, or
- that a person was impaired to the slightest degree by alcohol or prescription drugs, or
- that a person was driving with an illegal drug or metabolite in their system.
Additionally, to support an aggravated dui charge, the state must also prove:
- The alleged offender was charged with a third (3) DUI offense in seven years, or
- The alleged offender was arrested for a DUI while driving on a suspended or revoked driver's license, or
- The alleged offender was driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and a person under the age of 15 is in the car.
Penalties for Aggravated DUI:
An Aggravated DUI in Arizona can be classified as a Class 6 or Class 4 felony. Each involve very severe consequences.
Class 6 Felony – .5 to 1.5 years in prison and fines of up to $150,000.
Class 4 Felony – 1.5 to 3.75 years in prison and fines of up to $150,000
The penalties for Aggravated or felony DUI's substantially increase if a person has previous felony convictions for DUI or any other type of offense.
Aside from the potential jail or prison time, there are other costs associated with a felony DUI in Arizona, including:
- A $1500 prison assessment
- A $1500 Department of Public Safety Assessment
- A $250 DUI abatement fee
- Drug and alcohol treatment and counseling costs
- Probation and the fees related with probation
- Driving privilege revoked for up to 3 years
- Court ordered ignition interlock device for your car once your driving privileges are reinstated.
Aggressive Defense of Aggravated DUI Charges
Call (480) 833-8613 Today
A felony DUI offense in Arizona is a serious crime which can result in prison, probation, huge fines and a revocation of your driver's license. Additionally, a felony conviction will negatively impact other aspects of an individual's personal and professional life. Consequently, if you have been charged with a felony DUI, it is important to contact an experienced and aggressive DUI attorney to help you achieve the most favorable result.
Raymond A. Kimble specializes in DUI defense and has a working knowledge of all the city, justice and superior courts in Arizona. Through his experience, Mr. Kimble can assess and evaluate your particular situation and provide the best possible defense strategy. Mr. Kimble is always able to resolve DUI cases with the least amount of jail time, fines, etc. Mr. Kimble is able to expose weaknesses in a prosecutor's case which results in a dismissal or reduction of DUI charges and has successfully defended many DUI cases at trial. Raymond A. Kimble is a former police officer and DUI Prosecutor who has successfully defended thousands of people charged with DUI in Arizona over the last twenty years.